Boston Onward Israel is an immersive internship program offering resume building placements in a wide variety of opportunities in the greater Haifa area with a cohort of other young adults from the Boston area.
Develop your professional future and build your resume through a high-level internship in the field of your choice in Haifa. This tailor-made internship program places you in a work place based on your skills, interests and future plans. Intern four to five days a week alongside Israeli peers and immerse yourself in contemporary Israeli society. Experience Israel through Onward Israel’s day trips, overnights and seminars. In your free time, explore Israel’s amazing restaurants, beaches, and nightlife with a cohort of other young adults.
*Please visit our Covid-19 Response for the most up to date information regarding vaccination requirements and entry into Israel.*
This Onward Israel – Masa program is operated through a partnership between Hillel Council of New England, Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston, the Beacon and Shapira Foundations and other leading philanthropists, the Birthright Israel Foundation, and Masa Israel Journey. It is organized by The Israel Experience LTD. For more information about participating in a longer term Masa program after Onward Israel and the potential impact of participating in Onward Israel on future Masa grants view our FAQ here.
Admission is rolling. Applications will close in the beginning of March or earlier if the program fills.
Thursday, June 8 – Wednesday, August 2, 2023
Participants MUST be available to participate for the entire length of the program.
If for public health or security related reasons the program cannot take place in Israel, Onward Israel will make efforts to conduct the program remotely. Click here to review our FAQ, including information on remote programs regarding internships, programming and more.
The program cost includes housing, educational program, program staff, medical insurance, partial laundry provisions, and ground transportation within the city of residence. In addition, participants will be required to submit a $400 participation and security deposit via credit card hold. Charges will not be made if participants complete the program in good standing.
All participants are responsible for the cost and arrangement of their own flights and spending money upon arrival in Israel (including for food). Participants should not purchase flights until approximately one month before the program begins and are encouraged to purchase flights with a good refund policy or flight insurance. Onward Israel is not responsible for the cost of flights should the program be cancelled or shifted to be remote. Note: participants will be told approximately a month or two before the program begins their expected arrival and departure times.
Applicants participating in Birthright Israel trips ahead of an Onward Israel program must join their group on the first day of their Onward Israel program. Applicants will be responsible for their own accommodations if there is a gap between Birthright Israel and Onward Israel programs.
The actual cost of the Onward Israel program is much higher, and is subsidized up to 70% by Birthright Israel, private donors, and local Jewish communities and institutions.
Masa-eligible participants in programs which are part of the Onward/Masa partnership may qualify for additional scholarships. For more information, contact Onward Israel or your local partner professional.
– Social Media and outreach internship with local NGO or non-profit
– Business Development internship with social media start-up
– Event coordination and promotion intern for management company
– Public Relations internship with a museum
Not sure what type of internship you are looking for or unsure if you can find it in Israel? Our internship coordinators work one-on-one with each participant!
Applicants interested in internships in the fields of Engineering, STEM, Green Energy, Computer Science, Finance, Law and Medicine are encouraged to apply but must click the following link for some important information regarding placements:
– Applicants must be between 18-24 years old at the time of the program start date and at least one year post high school, be a current undergraduate college or university student (including students who will graduate Spring 2023), and either attend university in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont, or have a permanent address in Massachusetts
– Be Jewish (please refer to our FAQ for more information)
– Applicants are generally not able to participate on the program if they have spent 3 or more consecutive months in Israel (this includes semester abroad, gap year, or any other MASA or Onward Israel program)
– Must meet Masa Israel Journey Eligibility criteria (click here to review), including not having received Masa funding towards participation on a previous program. Note, Alumni of Onward Israel and Masa Israel Journey programs are typically not eligible to participate on a second Onward Israel program. In a small number of cases it might be possible for alumni of both initiatives and those who do not meet Masa Israel Journey criteria to participate (individuals can check with Onward Israel staff on a case by case basis), but program subsidies will be significantly lower and therefore the program fee will be higher.
– Fluent in English
– Have a valid Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months after the program end date)
– Previous participation in Birthright Israel is encouraged but not required
– Onward Israel alumni are not eligible for Birthright Israel trips. If you wish to participate in a 7- or 10-day Birthright Israel trip, consider participating in a Birthright Israel trip prior to an Onward Israel program.
Please click here to review the application process. Note: there could be slight differences between programs.
Apartment, hostel, or dorm-style housing in Haifa.
The number of participants to an apartment or room is dependent on the size of the accommodations and number of participants on the program. Though Onward Israel housing can vary from program to program, it generally meets basic Onward Israel standards. To learn more about this and other Onward Israel housing details, please visit our housing FAQ.
Director of Israel Engagement, Hillel Council of New England