Onward Israel Hybrid Winter 2020
Escape the winter in Israel! The Onward Israel Hybrid program is an 8-week program offering resume building opportunities in a wide variety of companies, organizations, and institutions in Tel Aviv. Participants spend part of the program living, experiencing, and interning in Israel and the other part of the program at home working with their employer remotely.
Please note, due to COVID-19 there could be potential shifts in the program design based on what Onward Israel is able to accomplish in the months leading up to the program. Refer to our Hybrid Program FAQ and scroll to the bottom of the page for more information.*
The Best of Both Worlds
The Onward Israel Hybrid program in the bustling start-up city of Tel Aviv offers you the opportunity to develop your professional future and build your resume through a high-level internship experience while also allowing you to spend time at home this winter!
During the Tel Aviv-based portion of the program, you are placed in a work environment based on your skills, interests and future goals. You will intern four to five days a week, and immerse yourself in contemporary Israeli society through Israel touring days, group activities, Shabbatons and more. These program days will include visits to local NGOs and explorations of contemporary Israeli culture, environment, and politics.
Educational and enrichment components will continue to take place during the remote based portion of the program, just remotely over Zoom instead of in-person. If the program becomes entirely remote, all enhancements will take place via Zoom.
This Onward Israel is operated through a partnership between the Beacon and Shapira Foundations and other leading philanthropists. It is organized by Destination Israel.
Track 1: December 21 – February 16
Israel Portion: Monday, December 21 – Sunday, January 17 (4 weeks)
Remote Portion: Wednesday, January 20 – Tuesday, February 16 (4 weeks)
If Israel has a mandatory 2 week quarantine in place, this track will NOT take place in Israel, but will become entirely remote.
Track 2: January 4 – March 2
Remote Portion: Monday, January 4 – Sunday, January 17 (2 weeks)
Israel Portion: Wednesday, January 20 – Tuesday March 2 (6 weeks)
If Israel has a mandatory 2 week quarantine period for new arrivals, this track will still take place. If this is the case, the first 2 weeks will be “remote” while under quarantine, in Israel, working from the apartments.
Track 1: $300, plus a $150 security deposit to be paid upon arrival in Israel
Deposits will be refunded at the end of the program pending good standing.
Track 2: $400, plus a $200 security deposit to be paid upon arrival in Israel
Deposits will be refunded at the end of the program pending good standing.
The program cost includes housing, medical insurance, a modest food stipend, and Rav Kav (bus pass to get around Tel Aviv). All participants are responsible for the cost and arrangement of their own flights. Flights should not be purchased until a decision has been made about this program.
If this becomes a remote program, the program cost will change to reflect this shift in expenses. The program cost will then be $100.
~This program is open to young adults, college and post-college, from 19-27 years old (or at least one full year post-high school at the start of the program)
~Fluent in English
~Previous participation in *Taglit-Birthright Israel is encouraged for any eligible applicants.
If you have not been on a Taglit – Birthright Israel trip, your participation on an Onward Israel program will void your Birthright eligibility.
Israel Based Portion: Apartments or dorm-style housing in Tel Aviv.
Remote Portion: Home, school, wherever you will return to afterwards! We will be going over best practices for remote work as the program approaches.
The number of participants to an apartment or room is dependent on the size of the accommodations and number of participants on the program. While meeting common standards, Onward Israel housing differs by program and even within a program. To learn more about this and other Onward Israel housing details, please visit our housing FAQ.
Additional scholarships are available towards program fees and flights for those who qualify. Please contact us for more information!
If you have questions about your eligibility, scholarships or for more information about these programs in general, please contact Jacob Kranitz, email@example.com or call (212) 339-6941.
The actual cost of the Onward Israel program is much higher, and is subsidized up to 70% by Onward Israel private donors, and local Jewish communities and institutions.
- Brand Analysis and US Market research. While in Israel, learn about leading Israeli retail brands, local trends and sales statistics. Then continue to research the US market, give your insights identify trends and assist strategic brand expansion to the US
- Work at a financial NGO, learning about the methods and technology, create a marketing deck and continue with forecasting data and research for potential expansions of the non-profit model
- Learn about up and coming Israeli startups, support capital raising ,search funding opportunities and potential investors , pitch it to the company and continue on to business outreach
- Hands on coding experience as a full stack developer\ mobile developer from the Israeli office and continue remotely
- Hands on graphic\ web design internship. Get to know the product\ company here in Israel and continue gaining experience while continuing from home
- Hands on video and photo editing, preparing graphic materials and video content and continue doing so remotely
- Environmental internship- market research in various on site and online agronomic services. Come see the technology in your own eyes and continue to agronomic international research
- Legal marketing\research. Assist legal firms in Israel with international M&A agreements and transactions and continue to assist with English materials and international ranking
- Manage an online marketing campaign for an Israeli startup, social media and content writing and continue doing so remotely
- Analyze business data, help in the creation of a database, compare competitive companies and continue to develop a business strategy and business cases.
Experience levels and academic backgrounds will factor into the types of placements participants are able to receive.
Not sure what type of internship you are looking for or unsure if you can find it in Israel? Our internship coordinators work one-on-one with each participant!
Remote Internship Opportunities
Participants will be paired with an Israeli company or organization and assigned work projects to complete over the course of the program. It is expected that participants complete their work projects during the designated dates of the program and fully participate in all required enrichment activities. Note that there would be a shift in the type of work conducted after transitioning from in person to remote work. We appreciate your flexibility and understanding as even within a specific field, the nature of your work will change throughout the program.
In the event that the program needs to shift to be entirely remote, there could be additional limitations on the types of internship placements available. Participants will be asked to be flexible under these circumstances and Onward Israel is committed to making sure participants still have a professional and positive work experience.
ℵPlease note the following:
1. We hope that by this winter, conditions will allow us to safely operate this program in Tel Aviv. This hybrid program combines by design an on the ground experience with a remote internship experience. A decision about whether the program can take place in Israel will be made by November 15. At that point, and if the on the ground portion of the program can’t be implemented, your experience will become fully remote, combining the internship experience with distance learning opportunities for the full duration of the program. At this point, you will also have the option of withdrawing from the program without financial penalty rather than participating in an all remote experience.
2. Current conditions in Israel require incoming program participants to start their experience with a 14-day quarantine segment, during which interaction is limited just to the program group and participants are required to remain in their apartments. During this part of the program, participants will start their internships remotely and enjoy additional educational opportunities (such as interactions with Israeli companies, explorations of contemporary Israeli culture, environment, and politics). If such a quarantine is required this winter it will be implemented as part of Track 2 only. Track 1 would become a fully remote experience, since it is unreasonable to begin a 4 week on the ground experience in Israel with two weeks of isolation. Here too the decision about the program will be made on November 15.