Join fellow Angelenos for the most epic summer abroad in Tel Aviv – interning, living, and exploring. Onward Israel LA is an 8-week immersive internship program in Tel Aviv.
Applications for this program have closed. Click here to apply for another program.
• Intern 4-5 days a week at places like an Israeli tech startup, a financial investment firm, or a creative agency (and more!).
• A relevant resume building and professional opportunity to advance your career in a work environment based on your skills, interests, and fields of study.
• Immerse yourself and discover the magic, complexity, and diversity of contemporary Israeli society.
Throughout the summer you’ll make new friends, explore the foodie scene, take in Tel Aviv’s nightlife, hit Israel’s pristine beaches, pick up some conversational Hebrew, and see the sites through Onward Israel’s day trips, overnights and seminars. We encourage you to apply to the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles’s Onward Israel program and join a diverse cohort of Angelenos that reflects the diversity of Jewish LA.
*Please visit our Covid-19 Response for the most up to date information regarding vaccination requirements and entry into Israel.*
This Onward Israel – Masa program is operated through a partnership between the Beacon and Shapira Foundations and other lead philanthropists, Masa Israel Journey, and the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. It is organized by Destination Israel. For more information about participating in a longer term Masa program after Onward Israel and the potential impact of participating in Onward Israel on future Masa grants view our FAQ here.
Track 1: Monday, May 29 – Sunday, July 23, 2023
Applications for this track have closed
Track 2: Monday, June 26 – Sunday, August 20, 2023
Applications for this track have closed
You MUST be available to participate for the entire length of the program.
If for public health or security related reasons the program cannot take place in Israel, Onward Israel will make efforts to conduct the program remotely. Click here to review our FAQ, including information on remote programs regarding internships, programming and more.
The program cost includes housing, educational program, program staff, medical insurance, partial laundry provisions, and ground transportation within the city of residence. In addition, participants will be required to submit a $400 security deposit via credit card in advance of the program. Deposits will be refunded at the end of the program pending good standing.
All participants are responsible for the cost and arrangement of their own flights and spending money upon arrival in Israel (including for food). Participants should not purchase flights until approximately one month before the program begins and are encouraged to purchase flights with a good refund policy or flight insurance. Onward Israel is not responsible for the cost of flights should the program be cancelled or shifted to be remote. Note, participants will be told approximately a month or two before the program begins their expected arrival and departure times.
Applicants participating in Birthright Israel trips ahead of an Onward Israel program must join their group on the first day of their Onward Israel program. Applicants will be responsible for their own accommodations if there is a gap between Birthright Israel and Onward Israel programs.
The actual cost of the Onward Israel program is much higher, and is subsidized up to 70% by Birthright Israel, private donors, and local Jewish communities and institutions.
Scholarships to help offset the program cost may be available to for those who need additional assistance and meet Onward Israel’s eligibility criteria. For more information, contact Onward Israel or your local partner professional.
For questions or to speak to an Onward Israel LA alum – email: Sgoodis@jewishla.org
– Applicants between 19-30 years old and not currently enrolled in high school, who are students and young professionals living year-round in the Greater Los Angeles area
– Priority is given to students enrolled in Los Angeles universities and colleges (i.e. UCLA, USC, CSUN, SMC, LMU, Occidental, etc.)
– Be Jewish (please refer to our FAQ for more information)
– Applicants must NOT have spent 3 or more consecutive months in Israel after high school (this includes semester abroad, gap year, or any other MASA or Onward Israel program)
– Must meet Masa Israel Journey Eligibility criteria (click here to review), including not having received Masa funding towards participation on a previous program. Note, Alumni of Onward Israel and Masa Israel Journey programs are typically not eligible to participate on a second Onward Israel program. In a small number of cases it might be possible for alumni of both initiatives and those who do not meet Masa Israel Journey criteria to participate (individuals can check with Onward Israel staff on a case by case basis), but program subsidies will be significantly lower and therefore the program fee will be higher.
-Fluent in English
-Have a valid Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months after the program end date)
-Previous participation in Birthright Israel is encouraged but not required
-Onward Israel alumni are not eligible for Birthright Israel trips. If you wish to participate in a 7- or 10-day Birthright Israel trip, consider participating in a Birthright Israel trip prior to an Onward Israel program.
Please click here to review the application process. Note: there could be slight differences between programs.
Heschel Center for Sustainability
Kav Laoved, a non-profit advocating for the rights of migrant workers
Not sure what type of internship you are looking for or unsure if you can find it in Israel? Our internship coordinators work one-on-one with each participant!
Applicants interested in internships in the fields of Engineering, STEM, Green Energy, Computer Science, Finance, Law and Medicine please click here for some important information regarding placements:
Apartment, hostel, hotel, or dorm-style housing in Tel Aviv.
The number of participants to an apartment or room is dependent on the size of the accommodations and number of participants on the program. Though Onward Israel housing can vary from program to program, it generally meets basic Onward Israel standards. To learn more about this and other Onward Israel housing details, please visit our housing FAQ.