Forum for Jewish Leadership (FJL)- UK
FJL offers a 5 week programme in Tel Aviv, combining top-tier professional development, profound Jewish experiences, experiential travel, exclusive networking, inspiring Shabbat dinners & leadership sessions led by talented speakers and educators. Elevate your summer while nurturing a deep connection to your Judaism through this immersive, once-in-a-lifetime journey!
During the trip, participants will take part in a five-week internship at top Israeli and multi-national firms based in Tel Aviv, and build their resumes. Participants will work in the area of their interest while gaining a prestigious experience to aid future job applications.
Aside from the internship component, participants will attend exclusive, interactive seminars, gaining insight and advice from some of the most high-powered political, business and hi-tech leaders worldwide. Past experiences included panels and workshops with McKinsey & Company, BlackRock, Deloitte, and Ernst & Young.
In addition, participants will engage in a phenomenal opportunity to explore, engage in text-study and delve into their Jewish heritage and address the big questions Jews face in the modern world with renowned educators, and like- minded peers with whom they will forge new, meaningful and longstanding relationships. A full summer of leadership opportunities and personal growth on the backdrop of the scenic and historic sites of the Modern State of Israel.
This Birthright Israel Onward programme is operated through the philanthropic support of leading North American Foundations through the Birthright Israel Foundation, the Government of Israel and the Jewish Agency, along with FJL and Jewish Futures Trust. It is organized by FJL.
Admission is rolling. Applications will close in the beginning of March or earlier if the programme fills.
June 26 – July 30, 2024
Participants MUST be available to participate for the entire length of the programme.
Program Cost*: £3,499
The full cost of setting up and running the programme which includes accommodation in midtown Tel Aviv, educational trips throughout Israel, food during weekdays (breakfast/lunch, Sun – Thurs) and Shabbat programming (and more) is in excess of UK£5,000 which is over £1000 per week. Due to the generosity of Birthright Israel Onward, applicants who have not spent 3 or more consecutive months in Israel after high school will automatically be granted a scholarship, bringing the programme cost to UK£3,499. You may apply for additional assistance by indicating this below in the application. Programme costs are in Israeli Shekels and based on a US$/Shekel exchange rate of 3.8 (UK 4.6).
If you are successful in the interview, you will be notified via email at which time a non-refundable programme deposit of UK£500 will become due. Following your commitment to the programme, you will be invited to an interview where you can ask further questions about the programme and discuss your expectations and options for your internship (see FAQ on internships for more information). Full payment will become due once your internship is confirmed or two months before the programme start date (whichever is sooner).
The programme cost includes: Accommodation throughout the programme, all trips, events, Shabbatons, various socials, food – all meals are provided on trip days and shabbats, speakers, experiences, staff costs.
In addition, participants will be required to submit a 1,500 NIS (shekels) security deposit in cash upon arrival at the hotel apartment. This security deposit will be refunded at the end of the programme pending good standing. Note: This is in addition to the UK£500 non-refundable programme deposit upon acceptance to the programme mentioned earlier.
Participants are responsible for the cost of flights, food when not provided, local travel during free time, and phone coverage.
To learn about this and other FJL & Birthright Israel Onward programme details, please visit our FAQ.
*Participants are advised to purchase flights with a good refund policy or flight insurance. Birthright Israel Onward is not responsible for the cost of flights should the programme be canceled. Note, participants will be given their expected address approximately two weeks before the programme begins, if not earlier.
You will be staying in the bustling and attractive Tel Aviv Sarona Market area. 3 participants per room with Airbnb style housing. All housing units meet Birthright Israel Onward standards. To learn more about this and other Birthright Israel Onward housing details, please visit our housing FAQ.
- Our trips are highly oversubscribed; unfortunately there will be candidates who would have been accepted, but are not purely due to lack of space. Beyond that we look to identify who will gain most from the educational components of the FJL experience, who will be inclined to continue their connection to FJL in the future, as well as who identifies with what we stand for (see About page on the FJL website and FAQ on criteria for acceptance). FJL is committed to welcoming Jews from all levels of observance and educational background. A Jewish education or lack thereof is not a barrier to applying. Another consideration is age, in that applicants who are about to start full time work and may not have the time in the future to participate may be prioritized over younger applicants (subject to individual merit). Despite not being able to offer trips for everyone, our alumni programming, which is highly regarded, is open to all and several of our most involved alumni did not attend these internship programmes previously.
- Applicants between 18-23 years old and not currently enrolled in high school
- Must be Jewish (please refer to our FAQ for more information)
- Applicants must NOT have spent 3 or more consecutive months in Israel after high school, or participated in a Birthright Israel Onward programme or any other mid-term or long-term educational programme in Israel. Must meet Masa Israel Journey Eligibility criteria (click here to review), including not having received Masa funding towards participation on a previous programme
- Fluent in English
- Have a valid Passport for at least 6 months after the programme end date
Please note: If you wish to participate in a 10-day Birthright Israel trip, consider doing so prior to an Onward programme. You will not be able to participate on Birthright Israel trip after participating on Onward.
Please click here to review the application process.
E.g. Data Analyst at a Venture Capital Firm
Interior Architect Designer at a Real Estate Development FIrm
Event management with a Events Company
Not sure what type of internship you are looking for or unsure if you can find it in Israel? Our internship coordinators work one-on-one with each participant!
Applicants interested in internships in the fields of STEM, Finance, Law, and Medicine please click here for some important information regarding placements:
For More Information Contact:
Rabbi Jonny Newman, Programme Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Programme Website: www.jewish-leadership.com